All Saints History

All Saints’ Church is rather unusual and very special in that Mr E. P. Wilson, an architect and a member of the congregation designed today’s All Saints.

All Saints’ began as a small mission house church in East Harpenden in 1860. In 1889 the second All Saints’ Church was built– but by the mid 20th century it became inadequate to serve the needs of the enlarged district of Batford and East Harpenden. In 1955 Mr Dolphin Smith, a local farmer, gave the site of the present church. This third All Saints’ Church was consecrated on 28th May 1965 and celebrated its 50th birthday in 2015.

» Read more

St. Mary’s History

A History of The Church of St Mary the Virgin
Kinsbourne Green, Harpenden, Hertfordshire

The story of St Mary’s is the story of a small country church and the way in which it has continued for the greater part of a century and a half to meet the needs of the community it serves.

The original early Victorian building, as the architectural style bears witness, still forms a large part of the present day Church. It was purpose built in 1869 as a combined church and school on a site given by the then Lord of the Manor of Annables, the Reverend William Smyth. A few years earlier in 1865, Canon Vaughan, the first Rector of Harpenden, had arranged for meetings and children’s classes to be held in the kitchen of Mrs Grips who lived in a house facing the Green. When the Church-cum-school was completed, the first school mistress was a Miss Freeman. A separate classroom for infants was added to the original building in 1892. When St Mary’s was rebuilt in 1968, this classroom was incorporated in the present Church Hall.

» Read more